- Open your Mac’s System Preferences.
- Click on the Sharing preference.
Check the box next to Screen Sharing.
For OS X Tiger:
- Check the box labeled Apple Remote Desktop.
- Click on the Access Privileges... button.
- Check the boxes next to Observe and Control.
- Start HippoRemote on your iPhone/iPod/iPad.
- Connect using your your Mac account’s name (most likely your full name) and password and start remoting!
If your Mac doesn’t show up as a detected computer, make sure your iPhone and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
If you are running a firewall on your Mac, open the Security system preference and make sure Screen Sharing is set to allow incoming connections.
If you still can’t connect, try rebooting your router, Mac and iPhone — in that order.
If you’ve tried everything, or if the instructions don’t make sense to you, email me at and I’ll help you get things going.